2015 was a great year for Friends of Fourche Creek. Through 3 major cleanups and over 75 smaller efforts, over 20 tons of trash were removed. Drain Smart was a hit in its inaugural year, with 18 storm drain murals gaining a lot of attention, and raising public awareness about the connections between storm drains, street litter, and our creeks. We gained additional partners and sponsors, including Bass Pro, which donated a kayak we raffled off at the State Fair. We were covered by TV, radio, newspapers, and magazines.
We have exciting plans for 2016:
- March 12 is our next public cleanup, convening at Interstate Park at 8:00. Teams will branch out to various problem areas.
- Drain Smart’s next "Call for Artists" will be released this month. Three new corridors have been selected – Center St., The Promenade at Chenal, and further south on South Main St. Stay tuned.
- Central Arkansas Trail Alliance and volunteers plan on charting a multi-use, natural surface trail from Interstate Park into Fourche Bottoms so more people can enjoy hiking, biking, fishing, birding, and viewing the natural beauty that this unique area has to offer.
- Arkansas Game & Fish Commission will build a new boat ramp at Benny Craig Park, the western gateway into Fourche Bottoms and the start of a 4.4-mile urban water trail.
- Fourche Creek will be the focus of the 2016 Sustainability Summit on March 31.
- Subscribe to the new FoFC e-mail discussion group by sending an e-mail to LISTSERV@UALR.EDU with “Subscribe FOFC” in the message. The purpose is to organize opportunistic cleanups, announce volunteer events, learn how to report pollution violations, and discuss all things related to Fourche Creek.
- Volunteer to put out storm drain decals. Free decals and adhesive are available through Audubon Arkansas.
- Adopt-A-Street - do this individually, or through your neighborhood association, property owners association, church group, business, civic group, scouting group, youth group, or school. It is much easier to remove trash and litter at the curb than in the creek.
- Like us on Facebook so we can share more with you. Ask your friends to like us as well to help build our constituency.
- We are always in need of additional partners and sponsors. If you or your organization would like to provide physical or financial help, please contact us. Donations should be made to Audubon Arkansas.